Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Random Happenings

I grabbed a cab in DC the day after the taxi cab driver strike, and proceeded to be lectured for my entire ride about how Mayor Fenty and the DC government are screwing cab drivers out of livable fares. I was informed that cab drivers used to make $1.80 per mile with the zone system, but are now reduced to $1.50 with the meter system.

At one point, I attempted to intercede when he stopped for air to state that, although I don't know the particulars of the issue, I do have many friends in the metropolitan area that find the meter system to be more fair, since they better understand how the meter system works over the previous zone system. Moreover, many unscrupulous cab drivers used to charge their customers whatever they wanted, because many customers did not understand how the zone system worked.

My cab driver quickly told me that the people I was talking about clearly weren't the people of DC because I probably wasn't talking about black people, which completely offended me. Then he went on to say that I was probably only talking about the "gay people or whoever that live in Dupont Circle."

To add insult to injury, another time I tried to talk to him when he stopped to take a breath (I thought his point had been made), he interrupted me with, "Excuse me, I am talking. I am not your slave; you are not my master. I can speak." Then he went on to lecture me further about how unfair his life as a cab driver is.

Again, I am not an expert on the issues affecting cab drivers in DC, but I really dislike being treated as if I am a racist, as if all white people dislike and feel superior to people of color (I believe my cab driver was Middle Eastern, but he acted as if I hated black people), and as if I am a child who has nothing to bring to a conversation. Beyond this, as anyone who knows me understands, I don't actually like talking to my cab drivers. I have nothing against them; I just enjoy silence most of the time that I am traveling (I also don't talk to fellow passengers on planes or trains).

So, if you are a cab driver or are considering becoming a cab driver, how about acting professional? And while you're at it, stick to comments about the weather, last night's game, or just maintain a healthy silence. No one likes the soapbox you're on.

And don't even get me started on cab drivers who hit on their passengers...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my favorite are the cab drivers that not only have ackward conversations, like the above stated, but then also have to ask you for directions to where you need to go. Really?!