Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Getting my ass handed to me

As part of the pre-employment process for becoming a Foreign Service Officer with the State Department, one has to go through a rigorous physical exam in order to obtain a worldwide medical clearance.  During this process, it came as a shock to me that since my last physical (which was in February), my cholesterol levels have skyrocketed.  Now that I'm thinking about it, it may have something to do with the fact that in Lima we buy real butter and whole milk - 2 huge culprits when you're working on closing down some arteries and developing heart disease.

No matter, my cholesterol score lit a fire under my butt in terms of eating healthy and exercising - something I generally do, but have been a little lax on lately.  So, even though I'm only in MA for a short period of time, I joined the local gym.

And yesterday, the ladies who run the Group Power class at Ciccone Family Fitness Center totally handed me my ass.  After about 1 million chest presses, lunges, curls and crunches, they even made me pretend I still had the strength to do push-ups.  Yesterday wasn't so bad - despite my gasps for air, my jello legs, and my racing heart - but today my quads are basically giving me the finger.

And as a final "eff u," the classes I'm taking start at 5.  As in the morning.  Seriously, what the heck is my problem?

No comments: