The next cab I took in DC started off really well. The driver was friendly and engaged in a small amount of chit-chat before we settled into a comfortable silence. The silence lasted for all of five minutes before he opened with,
"Are you prepared for the coming of Jesus?"
After which I started looking for a church with a sign out front declaring that statement, thinking the question was a joke.
When I couldn't find a church in our immediate vicinity, I started to get confused. Could this guy be serious?
Was he ever.
"Are you born again?" is how he began his lecture on how Jesus loves me and wants a relationship with me; I apparently only need to believe. Otherwise, I was going to hell and my cab driver was really hopeful that he would see me in heaven.
My driver gave me all kinds of advice - from how to get into heaven to where to buy the latest Christian books, right down the street address of the Christian bookstore where he buys all his reading materials.
After far too many minutes of my sitting in uncomfortable, stunned silence and him chattering away about Jesus, we arrived at Jeff and Liz's house. His parting comment was, "I pray you believe in Jesus because I really hope to see you in heaven."
WOW. I know I'm going straight to hell just for laughing at this, but my mom told me that I should have told him off. She said that even my (Catholic) Nonnie would have told him to go f*&% himself.
I almost wish I did.
(If it weren't for this pesky feeling of respect and propriety I feel towards strangers...)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment