Thursday, April 9, 2009

Light at the end of the tunnel

I am nearly done with my graduate degree. As of this moment, only 2 papers stand in the way of my diploma, one of which will be complete on or around Easter Sunday. This, of course, reminds me that every holiday and every long weekend over the last three years has been spent reading, researching, or writing so that I can successfully complete my masters degree. All that effort, all the blood, sweat and tears are now bringing about what I wanted: a MPA and the hope that I can get a job that has nothing to do with security, protection, criminal casework, or carrying a gun.

Granted, I am graduating in the midst of an economic crisis that has wreaked havoc on the employment prospects of thousands of hard-working Americans (not to mention other nationalities), but I am hopeful that my experience, academics and charisma (ha!) will help me land a new career - one that I can be proud of and happy to serve in.

In any case, I will be celebrating in May, several times over. My friend Ali, who is the Peace Corps Lima volunteer, has been pestering me since I met her to just forget about the books and get really drunk so I have allowed her to think she is planning a big night of drinking and dancing for me. Anthony has been informed that he will be treating me to dinner at Rafael, one of the nice fancy-schmancy restaurants here in Lima, and that all my Lima friends will be invited to some kind of grown-up, mature cocktail-hour type event. And then, as a treat to myself, I have indulged in the purchase of a guided trek to Machu Picchu with my dear friends Eric, Marilyn and Celia, who arrive just prior to my final paper due date.

The exciting news is that yesterday I finally purchases my roundtrip flight to Cuzco, which only cost me a little over US$130 (I got the tickets on special!!!). This saves me from the 24+ hour bus ride (each way) and makes the trip one step closer to realized. It's gonna be AWESOME.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Wow! You've worked so hard Ryan. I'm proud of you. Congratulations. You've earned your party.

Anonymous said...

Oh yea!!! I'm so proud of you...you have done such good work and been so dedicated to studying. By now you have definitely partied it up...as you should!! :)