Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Why grad school is not the best choice for everyone

The semester started on January 21st, but it wasn't until April 15th that I received the syllabus for one of my classes this term. And I still haven't heard from my professor at all (the ladies who run the front office for my department sent me the syllabus).

Moreover, I still have to complete all the work of a semester in less than 2 1/2 weeks time.

And this despite repeated attempts on my behalf to contact my professor and receive my assignments. In fact, the only reason that the syllabus was given me was because of my last attempt to contact the department so that there are no issues when it comes time to graduate in May.

I don't point this out to give my university a bad reputation, or really even to drag my professor through the mud. But it did remind me of all the times in my undergraduate and graduate career that teachers failed to live up to their responsibilities as educators. While the work isn't really that difficult, it is really disappointing that my repeated emails and phone calls go unanswered. Especially because I pay full out-of-state tuition. And because I want to do well.

I spent the past 3 years living like a hermit, focusing all my energies on my studies (if you don't believe me, just ask Anthony, my poor neglected boy), and it upsets me when professors at my university do not recognize that. It's a simple courtesy to send a few lines by email or to pick up a phone, even if it's just to say that you're too busy to respond fully at the moment or to help out in a project. That is the kind of thing I appreciate, particularly considering the fact that for every 3 credits (1 course), I shell out approximately $3,000.

So if you are a teacher, please make those of us who pay tuition feel like we're receiving the service we pay for: return our phone calls, write us an email...heck, a messenger pigeon would be pretty darn awesome, too.

No comments: