I’m now in week three of Hal Higdon’s novice training program for running a half marathon. I’d like to say that I’m kicking a$$ and taking names, but the reality is that my body currently hates me and is staging a revolt. A very painful revolt.
It didn’t help that I volunteered to take part in the Regional Security Office’s volleyball team for the Embassy Games – the Embassy’s version of the Olympics. Not only did we lose three games in a row, thereby ensuring that we wouldn’t be playing in the semi-finals, we also made sure that my legs, back and arms were in so much pain that I remained in traction on the couch all day Sunday.
Thankfully, by Monday, I was enough recovered for a 3.5 mile run. The only thing that remains to remind me of my volleyball days is a few greenish bruises on my forearms and the back of my hands, some mild nerve damage in my fingers, and what feels like a charlie-horse in my left quad. But these things will all heal in time, and I can continue to train for that half marathon I (insanely) signed up for.
So, what is this half-marathon in which you were crazy enough to enlist, you ask? It’s called the Pacasmayo International Marathon and runners of all ages and abilities are invited to participate in a full marathon, a half marathon, a 10k, or a 5k. The event takes place over the 4th of July weekend in Pacasmayo, a small beach town on the northern coast of Peru known for its surfing. This year the proceeds from the race will go to purchase supplies for Olga Enders de Ugás, a Pacasmayo food kitchen for children and the elderly.
Of course, I immediately signed up for the half marathon, thinking that the full marathon would be too much for my first attempt at something of this sort. What I didn’t stop to consider was the fact that, even at my peak form in high school, the farthest I have ever run in my life at one time was 5 miles. And a half marathon is a little over 13 miles. At this stage in my training, I imagine I will be eating the dust of little old ladies as they pass me by with their speedy aluminum walkers. Good times.
Clearly, you should be wishing me luck now. Barrels of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Good luck with the run Ryan! I've found the beer the night before is a great training method...
I love it...did I ever tell you about the time I signed up to run a half-marathon? Well, let's just say that I had all good intensions however grad school legitimately got in my way. Therefore, when it came to the actually date...I decided to walk the route with my mom (who had been training for the walk). I figured anyone can walk, right? Too bad I was sick the night before, didn't eat dinner or breakfast, and yet still walked! Let's just say we all know who kicked my a$$!!!! I was incapable of moving for at least three days...wow! So I say...good for you; keep up the great work because it is hard work.
Post a Comment