Saturday, September 5, 2009

Bad news for the non-gays

A month or two ago, I learned that in October, new legislation would be going into effect that would change my status at the Department of State from a member of household (MOH) to an eligible family member (EFM). This was essentially supposed to be legislation for same-sex couples, which entitles the partner of a Foreign Service employee to certain benefits, like home leave (that the State Department pays for), airline tickets between posts, and generally anything else that legal spouses are entitled to, except for health insurance. This was great news for us because we've gone into quite a bit of debt with all the hidden costs you must pay to be a Foreign Service family and live around the world.

Of course, we learned yesterday that the wording that included committed but not married heterosexual couples was taken out of the legislation. So now I have to figure out an inexpensive way to get to Nogales in 7 weeks. Or, just get married here in Peru so I can become an EFM, which apparently requires the signature and seal of every last politican in this godforsaken country and takes an average of 3 months to carry out - which is 5 weeks over the time we've got allotted us. So mom, I guess you can actually be a witness to our wedding, when it takes place on the eve of never.

Argh!

No comments: