We don't know how long we'll be here, but we hope it's only for a few days. After spending the last month in the states driving up and down the east coast, we're happy to just settle into a single place, without the need for moving again. It would also be nice to just pad over to the back door in the morning to let my dog do her thing in the backyard, without worrying what the neighbors might be thinking about my moose pajamas.
The temporary digs are, of course, pretty fabulous. Our apartment takes up an entire floor of this building:
We have a doorman who, when he's not sleeping at the front desk, jumps up every time he sees us and begins a sprint to the front door so he can hold it open for us. It must be a well-paying job. Although I've been told that Peru's biggest problem is it's poverty; so any job is a good job here.I should probably clarify a little something that I posted in my first impressions. After eating out for lunch yesterday (mmm, cebiche!), I noticed that no one in the restaurant was smoking. Since lunch is the main meal of the day for Peruvians (coffee and bread are mainstays for breakfast; a small appetizer-sized plate of food is typical for dinner), perhaps they don't smoke that much when eating lunch? I will have to continue to experiment with that theory. Nonetheless, I was extremely gratified NOT to have to breathe in smoke while I was inhaling Anthony's cebiche.
It was also interesting to discover that only a few small blocks from our apartment is...a Starbucks! That's right, your and my favorite American coffee corporation is planning it's takeover of Lima. Oddly enough, the main coffee drink here is actually Nescafé; most Peruvian coffee is simply exported.
Other weird things include (or so I've been told) the local Pizza Hut being a sit-down, table-service restaurant with white tablecloths. Try to figure out how that one happened...

7 comments:
Hi Ryan! The apartment's just not the same without you and Mel! I'm so glad that you, Anthony, and the furry kids all made it to Lima safely. I can't wait to hear more about how you're doing and enjoy the Bimbo bread!
Are you sure those are moose on your pajamas or perhaps they are elk? Marilyn
Kinda of like in Demolition Man where in the future Taco Bell is a fancy restaraunt. :)
What, no goat pajamas?
Masshole, you're in Peru. You have to wear *alpaca* pajamas!
Sit-down Pizza Hut with white tablecloths may be my dream-come-true. Do they have crystal goblets for the self-serve soda machine as well? Congrats on making it safely!
Estee: At least you still have Motik! And you can always invite Andrew over for a good time. Plus, he can bring you Inca Cola so you feel like you're also here in Peru. Did you know that it outsells Coca-Cola? (However, it is also a brand of the Coca-Cola company so don't get too excited.)
Marilyn: They're definitely moose! I learned my lesson, sister!
Christy: If only I had seen Demolition Man (must go on the list!)...
Gordo: Not yet, but I'm more than happy to be provided with some. See any in Boulder?
Andrew: Will do, once I find me some alpaca pjs. Although I've found some very adorable alpaca dolls that I may send you...
Dilly: You're nuts - fancy Pizza Hut is your dream-come-true??? Tell me that you've had better pizza in your lifetime... But I will tell you this: every sit-down restaurant in Lima charges 19% tax PLUS an approximately 10% table-service fee (for the napkins, forks, etc.). And then you're supposed to tip around 10%. Anthony made a good point the other day (or was it another embassy personnel?) when he said that foreign diplomats in the U.S. don't have to pay taxes... Hmmmm.
Post a Comment