We're also both sick (sore throats, boo!), and just barely cognizant enough of the fact that we just moved to a foreign country.
First impressions:
1) Peru is, like most other places I've visited, very dark at 4AM. But the timing worked to our advantage, as apparently we "flew" through immigration and customs. What took us under an hour (stamping our passports, verifying that we weren't smuggling drugs in our pets' bladders, and picking up our luggage) normally takes multiple hours - like four.
2) Our temporary accomodations (some Master Seargent is currently enjoying our digs, as he waits for his own house to be ready) are GINORMOUS. Living overseas may become very addictive, what with our four-bedroom, three-and-a-half-bathroom apartment as a shining example of State Dept. accomodations.
3) Peruvians like to smoke. A LOT. (Even while they're eating.) This is going to take some getting used to.
4) Peruvian men like to stare. I've been told that it's a machismo thing. Good thing I'm taller than all of them.
5) Peruvians can't drive. We received a bulletin from the embassy, stating something to the effect of, "Peruvians don't follow any traffic laws." They blow through red lights, take right-hand turns from the far left lane, drive the wrong way into oncoming traffic, and often have cars that don't meet standards. This means that accidents involving head-on collisions at night are common, because many cars don't have working headlights. Note to self: don't drive if at all possible.
6) Mel, this one is for you: the supermarket in my neighborhood is called Wong's. Yeah, baby! Oh, and this is where you can get your very own BIMBO bread. I kid you not. (See image below.)

5 comments:
Hi Ryan! Glad to hear that the whole family made it to Lima ok! Sorry to hear that you are sick though. Feel better soon! Hans and I were just reading your blog together and Hans was reminiscing about the good old days in Lima. Hans says there ARE traffic rules, they're just not the ones you're just to. Rule number 1 is, always yield to the bigger car. ;) And if you really want to fear for your life, be sure to take a combi (small bus). Have fun!!
Hi Baby Girl,
Peruvian drivers sound much like the nepalise drivers .. what a hoot! It also sounds a lot like the way YOU drive!! I'm sure you could give them a run for their money!
Both Baja and I send our love.
Peruvian likes staring? I did that all the time in Beijing and U.S. Haha People from feveloping countries has the same bad habit. We are just curious about "Americans". They are thinking "Wow, she is soooo tall and white and blond." You can just ignore them, or say "hello" to them if you feel comfortable.:)
I came across the BIMBO brand in Argentina. My favorite ad said, "Bimbo: Sabor de Familia," which for those who don't speak Spanish, means "Bimbo: Flavor of the Family". Hey kids, who wants to taste some Bimbo?
Anthony is ABSOLUTELY forbidden to go para gliding. Eat plenty of Guinea Pig, and watch out for the Shining Path bad people. Drink plenty of water-dysentery is a great diet. Oh, and how much is the Botox down there? Try to find out the name of the best plastic surgeon in Lima for when we come to visit
Post a Comment