Wednesday, November 5, 2008

U.S. elections

You already know that Barack Obama won the elections yesterday, and you probably already saw the worldwide reaction to his election on the news this morning, but it still is amazing to me how important this election is to the rest of the world. All of my foreign friends have been following this election (far more closely than I have, if truth be told) and are truly interested in the results. One of my French friends even texted me last night, asking for election night results since she would not have access to the information for most of the evening.

I'm not the most political of people, but I do believe that the U.S. reputation abroad has taken a nose-dive under our current administration and, no matter whether you agree with his politics, at least former President Bill Clinton maintained strong relationships with his counterparts overseas. I sincerely hope that Obama is able to live up to his promise of reinvigorating our reputation and gains the same kind of status our foreign policy team had in 1990s. (That Madeline Albright was pretty darn awesome, wasn't she?)

No comments: