Saturday, August 30, 2008

Street begging

Young boys performing acrobatics, juggling, or playing instruments are common sights at the major intersections here in Lima. Wherever you see a traffic light, you are likely to also see one or two 10- to 12-year-olds cartwheeling, flipping through the air, tossing tennis balls, or even simultaneously playing a small guitar and the flute. These are the street beggars I have seen most often. And before the light changes again to green, they walk slowly down the line of cars, pleading for small tokens of appreciation.

These sights are a direct result of the poverty here, which, to put it in more understandable terms, as one of my Spanish language teachers tells me, means that the average Peruvian makes approximately US$170 per month, or under US$4 a day. Even though the cost of living here is low in comparison to the United States, that is still a miserable amount with which to eke out a living, especially if you have a family of mouths to feed, shelter, and clothe.

Having once worked with the homeless, I am comfortable with many people's reactions to the idea of giving money to the homeless or beggars. Personally, I try to never give money to people on the street, preferring instead to give my money to organizations that provide programs for the poor. In those instances, I am confident of the purpose my money is being used to obtain. It's a personal decision and I respect the thought processes that guide others reasons for giving or not giving.

That is all to say that I haven't once given these children money.

Just before I came down with food poisoning, one of my Peruvian friends informed me that the majority of these children who perform at street corners are in fact addicted to drugs. Although the Peruvian government is very strict and very strong in its response concerning drugs, that hasn't entirely eliminated their sale or distribution. And these young children are very poor and resort to the lowest classes of drugs because they are inexpensive. Even more disheartening, they are also the most deadly. I am told the drug of choice is cobbler's glue - these children sniff the glue used to attach the sole of your shoe.

In cases like this, I begin to wonder which is worse: the grinding poverty or the life of drugs these children sometimes succomb to...?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I second that...